Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Haikuesday

My stepdaughter Becky started it. One day, on her Facebook page, she posted a haiku, calling it Haiku Tuesday. I didn’t know it then, but it was the beginning of an era.

Haiku is a form of Japanese poetry with very specific parameters. It is a three-line poem, with five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five again in the third. Often, they reflect thoughts on nature or other deep truths. Mine are usually just sarcastic. An early version of haiku that’s just my style caught my eye. I’ve seen it in far too many places to know where it originated:

Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don’t make sense.
Refrigerator.

The New York Times posts a blog that included a full page of cat haiku. This was my favorite:

You must scratch me there!
Yes, above my tail!
Behold, elevator butt.

Anyway, I began following Becky’s example by posting my own haikus each Tuesday. At some point, I changed it from “Haiku Tuesday” to, simply, “Haikuesday”.  I received so many “likes” that it encouraged my amateur endeavors, and a poet (or a monster) was created. 

What follows are some haikus I was able to find from my old Facebook posts. I’ve tried to group them by category, for posterity… and believe it or not, I’ve spared you from plenty of them…

Some haikus were inspired by my aging, menopausal body. Or by looking in a mirror:

Wake. Must pee. So cold.
Back to bed. Cozy. And then -
Hot flash! Covers off!

Why am I awake?
Alarm's not til 6:15!
Bad dream. Hot flash. Shoot.

I used to believe
errant, scraggly eyebrow hairs
just grew on old men.

So hot and sticky
my sports bra tried to kill me.
Contortions. More sweat.

Orthotics still squeaking.
Blaringly loud this morning.
Powder didn't help...

I miss Two Buck Chuck.
I miss sugar. But I won't
miss this muffin top.

It's 4:42
We're eating dinner right now.
Yes. We are old farts.

I see my own face
reflected in my phone's screen.
Huh. Who's that old broad?


Haikus inspired by sleep deprivation:

Sleep has been fleeting.
Guess I better learn to nap
so no one gets hurt.

Alarm?? Already???
Hardly slept a wink. Today,
caffeine is my pal.

I can't fall asleep.
That alarm will ring early.
Haiku doesn't help.

Napping's hard for me.
That was a great one! No. Wait. 
Just a short night's sleep.

My mom used to say,
"When you're tired, don't droop -- just add
a bit more makeup."


Real-live, true-to-form haikus often reflect on nature. This is probably my most non-sarcastic, legitimate effort:

Out of the ashes,
Coincidental beauty.
Forest fire sunrise. 

Here are some more — with my own spin — on nature:

Chance of rain today:
One hundred percent. Yay! But
drivers will be lame.

Morning fog gives way
to nourishing, warm sunlight.
Yet... car a/c broke...

This morning, God made
a cotton candy sunrise
worth waking up for!

This is pure madness.
So cold in Redondo Beach
I can see my breath.

I caused today's rain.
Yesterday I washed my car.
You're welcome, SoCal.

The wind's a bummer.
Tent flapping wildly. ALL. NIGHT.
Today's forecast? Wind.

It's gorgeous and hot.
No one wants to hit the beach?
Countdown to summer.

I do not like wind.
Wind makes me feel all antsy.
Careful, hummingbirds!

Blah blah blah blah blah
Blah blah blah June Gloom blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah


This spring, while camping near Malibu, we took a brief foray onto the pier. In a swanky shop there, I spotted a sweater that sported a $1200 price tag:

Malibu shopping.
One sweater can feed nations.
Take me back to camp!


Sometimes, my haiku elicits responses in kind from my friends. One winter, I was bemoaning a particularly cold snap of weather (cold here in So Cal being, probably, around 50 degrees). Here’s what I wrote:

Are you kidding me?
Am I in Siberia?
Where is that sweatshirt...?

I got several haiku replies. Trevor, in Scotland, quipped:

What is the problem?
Come here and live in Scotland.
Just bring a good coat.

Julia (a local friend) added:
My tortoise is cold.
The answer might be fresh hay.
Timothy it is.

Jenny, in South Carolina, wrote:
It is so hot here
I would like to trade with you
Where is my winter?

Another “audience participation” haiku happened when I misfired:

Remember that time
I posted a haiku, but
it was Monday? Derp.

My friend Craig commented:
There is a product
Many people like to use
Called a calendar


Remember the kerfuffle that was sparked by Starbucks that December when they changed their cups to plain red, instead of bearing symbols of winter? A bunch of lunatic Christians raised an outcry, claiming that “Starbucks is anti-Christmas”. I posted this:

Hey, "Christians"? Hi there.
Please stop it about Starbucks.
You make us look dumb.

More holiday haikus:

It's St. Patrick's Day!
I'm pretty certain Patrick
never did haiku.

If only this gym
didn't close for the next week
I'd drink more egg nog.

So Daddy just read
"'Twas the night before Christmas. .."
Philbin Tradition...

And regarding Trader Joe’s Wintry Blend coffee (used to be called “Christmas Blend”, but who’s keeping track?):

"Past Doreen" is smart.
At Christmas, she bought extra.
Thank you, Past Doreen.


A new smartphone evoked strong emotions that had to make it into a few haikus:

My new phone woke me.
Not by making noise, but just
by being awesome.

Left phone at chorus.
Haiku's not wordy enough
to express my pain.

My phone's back with me.
Hush now. There, there... all is well.
Yup. I've gone mental.

Thought I left phone home.
Then I found it in the trunk.
Oh, my sweet preciouussss.


Here I’ve captured some observations about “The Last Dog I’ll Ever Own”:

Dark. Early. Cold fog.
Even the last dog I'll own
didn't want to rise.

Dog likes to lick feet.
Brian and Jen think it's gross.
Me? Hey... foot massage.

Dog twerks while he poops.
Why? Why must I watch him poop??
I know... TMI.

A fly's in the house.
How do I know? My last dog
hides under my bed.

Today my kitty
Turns nineteen years old. Let's hope
Bingley won't do that...


We occasionally have the fortune of a free day at Disneyland, thanks to some friends who are cast members. Here’s my favorite Disney-themed haiku:

Special Haikuesday!!
The Happiest Place On Earth
awaits us -- WOO HOO!!


As a homeschooler, I introduced my daughter Jennifer to haiku at a young age. One day, as we were sitting in the car, waiting forever for a woman to vacate a parking space, I composed this haiku on the fly:

This woman can’t drive.
She drives like a bulldozer.
Smile at the lady!

Jennifer ended up doing a speech in her public speaking class on haiku. In it, she made up a haiku about me:

Mom is very mean
She makes up some mean haikus.
Stop Mommy. Please stop.

Here’s the link to her whole speech - https://youtu.be/Jy12oYd2KQ0


Other homeschool-related haiku:

Daughter has a cold.
Homemade biscuits, junk TV,
priceless day at home.

Haircut today - yyyeeesss!
Then off to homeschool beach day.
Heat is my Prozac.

Since it's first beach day,
my teen thinks it is summer.
Still in bed. Homeschool.

When you are fifty,
Don't goof around in the store.
Huge knot on my shin. 
(I blame homeschooling for me chasing my teenage daughter around the store with a shopping cart. Crashed into a post.)

Off to jump more hoops
at community college.
Lord, help me be nice.

Our last WISH picnic.
This year is filled with "last things".
Breathe... Pray. New season...


For Lent this year, I gave up posting anything on Facebook other than a daily “God sighting”, with the hashtag #GodofMyEverything. Since a few Haikuesdays fell during the Lent period, I posted these:

Hardly slept last night.
Hot flash. Cat butt on my face.
"Yet will I praise Thee."

So, how to combine
Jesus with haiku? Easy --
God of My Haiku.

Hmm. Fit "hashtag God
of my Everything" in
to a haiku? Done.


Thinking up a new haiku each week isn’t easy. I can’t hit them all out of the park. Here was a Hail Mary clunker:

Oops! It's Haikuesday. 
Haven't done a haiku yet.
Shoot. Um, okay. Here.


Two offerings in honor of my husband Brian:

My man is soooo hot -
I just made the bed, and HA!
His pillow's still warm.

Twenty years?? Really??
Happy anniversary,
my dear Imzadi.


My more deeply philosophical haikus:

Yoga this morning
awakened in me deep truth:
It's time to vacuum.

TODAY, I CHOOSE JOY.
Janel sets great example.
So, JOY! (...and coffee)

Sometimes it's better
To ask forgiveness rather
than for permission.

So tired and crabby.
Mission for today: think first,
speak words of kindness.


The rest of these sort of defied a category, but I like them, so I’m just gonna leave them here:

Smoothie on the floor.
Sticky mess. Broken glass. Guess
I'll have cereal.

Left home for the day.
Would have been way better if
I had brought my purse. :-/

NOTHING'S working right.
Maybe... Jesus comes today?
Better stop cussing.

Did some gardening.
Branch cut my arm. To be fair,
it was self-defense.

Splashed on toilet seat?
Please wipe it up... you dang pig.
Signed, The Next Person.

I talk a good game.
Not scared of spiders - that is,
'til web smacks my face.

If dream was correct,
having tiger for a pet
would be frustrating.

There are few things a 
peanut butter and honey
sandwich can't improve.

Smothered by my pets.
Can't get up to make dinner.
Send peanut butter.

Jennifer tells me
my Dr Who intake is
dangerously low.

When you're really tired,
so tired you miss the off ramp?
Yeah. I hate that too.

Because they’re so cool,
They deserve their own haiku.
#alpacas 
(My friend Kim gave me props for using # as a two-syllable word)


This blog, by the way, was delayed, first by my own idiotic neglect, and then by a formatting war with Blogspot. I wanted to post it on an actual Haikuesday, but after spending a couple of weeks finding old haikus, and several hours putting it together, my computer turned off unexpectedly. When I plugged it back in, most of my work was gone. For some reason the auto-save feature failed me. Gah. So I posted this final haiku after wailing at my misfortune, blaming others even though they might have been trying to help  (sorry, Brian), and sulking off to bed:

Working on my blog.
Laptop battery just died.
Lost hours of work. Crap.

Then, I finally got it all into Blogspot, posted it, and found that all my formatting — putting haikus into neatly indented sections — was blown away. Then, I re-formatted it all by hand and found that Blogspot completely blew apart huge sections, even removing whole lines of my haikus. Son of a nutcracker!!!


Yes. A fourth attempt
to publish this [blanking] blog.
Four's a charm? Hoping...

No comments:

Post a Comment